Thursday, October 3, 2013

The Kronut Kingdom!



Welcome to the battle of Kronut! It was first made by chef Dominic Ansel in Soho, New York. The Cronut fever doesn't only stop in New York. It has been spread all over the world, including Jakarta.

The mixture of Croissant and Doughnut by Dominic Ansel
Source: Nymag.com

The craze in Indonesia is not as spectacular as it is in NewYork, where people need to stand in a long line to get their hands on this half croissant - half doughnut thingy. There are few places in Jakarta if you curious about this half croissant - half doughnut thingy.

One of the first bakery in town who made the breakthrough was The Mandarin Oriental Cake Shop by Mandarin Oriental Hotel Jakarta. I paid my first visit there three months ago. Well, I came innocently without knowing that I had to make an order first few hours before I could enjoy the Cronut. But God was on my side that day, because the time I went there there was a customer who canceled their order. So I could have the two Cronuts without ordering them first :) Lucky me!

I ate them right after unboxing the cake, and my oh my. It was melted right thru my tongue! It as Delicious!! The cream filling, the texture and the crunchiness from the top layer. Oh I was in love at the first bite!! :D



IDR 24.000
Mandarin Oriental Cake Shop
Phone: +62 21 29938888
Address: Jalan Kebon Kacang Raya, Jakarta


After few months, I heard that some other cake shop and cafe in J-Town starting to serve Cronut. So I took a visit at the two places, UNION and PUBLICO.

These pictures below were Union's Cronut (They don't put the name "Cronut" in their menu, but just ask the waiter at the bakery right in the front of the cafe entrance). They have some flavors for the cronut, but I only tried one, it was the classic one I guess. The filling wasn't as creamy as The Mandarin Oriental Cronut, but the top layer was crunchier and its was sprinkled by cinnamon sugar. (Well, I like Union's cronut more! IMHO)



Accompanied by Nice and Hot Hazelnut Latte. Perfect tea time menu. 
UNION Brasserie, Bakery & Bar
Phone: +62 21 57905861              

Address: JL. Asia Afrika No. 8
               1st Floor Unit Sogo, Plaza Senayan


In Publico, they also served two - three flavors of cronut, I did try the chocolate one. You have to order them first like two - three hours before you can take the cronut. The Chocolate cronut was more of a creamy bread. I can't really taste the 'croissant' in it, so it was more like a chocolate cream doughnut and a bit too sweet I guess. Maybe the other two flavors are better, I'll definitely going to try 'em next time.

PUBLICO
Address: Jl. Senopati Raya 65,Kebayoran Baru
Phone: +6221 52964960

www.rystgroup.com



No comments:

Post a Comment